Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Voltaire Speaks

When I was growing up I listened to the sounds of everything around me. Staying hip at seven wasn't hard when you had 5 siblings to lean on musically and parents willing to turn on the radio.

Over the past three years there has been a battle over what's ok for some performers to say. Scratch that--over the past, since musicians have been around people have argued over their place and what is and isn't appropriate.

Friday Nov. 10, The Dixie Chicks' documentary "Shut Up & Sing" is coming out nationally. It debuted in NY and LA October 27th, but now is coming to the masses. Perhaps it's even going places unwelcome.

I voted today in Johnson County, Iowa's 21st Precinct. I had a hard time getting to my polling place and made a wrong stop along the way. At the place I mumbled audibly that they, meaning the government, don't make it easy for students to vote. They always complain about low voter turn out among young people. To me, its simply baffling. Obviously there's going to be low voter turn out if the candidate rarely if ever addresses their up-and-coming "Real" citizens. Most of the time as a student I feel like I don't matter. Partially it's my fault. Althought I write for my paper, I don't read the Metro section very much. It's not to say that politics are uninteresting, it's to say that for me they seem irrelevent. In an argument I would probably lose saying that if matched against a poly-sci major. Anyway, I was struck this afternoon when I said that the reason I was going to vote is not because I'm all that interested in the Iowa political system, it's that I have the right to vote. I am allowed to vote. My vote counts.

Going back to my original idea about The Dixie Chicks, I realized again the importance of freedoms given in our country specifically speech. Although I may not agree or even if I do, I have to protect their right to say whatever they want. They are on an international platform and given the chance, I would have said whatever I wanted as well. It doesn't matter if they offended people. Freedom of speech exists to protect the minority voice.

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."
-Voltaire.

That is exactly what, as a country, we stand for.

As a fan of the female vocalists and a voter for Bush (many because of the abortion issue), it doesn't matter that they said what they did. In fact, I'm glad they said it because it begs the question: when and where is sharing an opinion appropriate? The answer is simple: anywhere, because opinions shouldn't hurt people. Would the citizens offended rather live in fear of sharing a voice in certain touchy issues or live in a country free of that sort of oppression?

They may not have liked it, but screw it. Freedom is allowed. Deal. Stay informed, and next time there's an amendment dealing with freedom of speech/expression vote against the right for people to say/act how they feel. I just think its ridiculous for people to criticize their neighbors who think differently.

For all the cases that deal with the freedom at hand go to www.findlaw.com
Papish v. University of MO curators, O'Brien v. United States, Cohen v. California, Tinker v. Des Moines, etc.

2 comments:

paul said...

"because opinions shouldn't hurt people."

they maybe shouldn't, but they do. i don't think you mean this outside of the context of politics, right?

did you mean, "mainly because of the abortion issue?" but did bush change anything about that issue anyways?

Syler said...

I want to see that film. Looks interesting. Bottom line about the Dixie Chicks and their comments: People are dumb. All they said was that they're ashamed Bush is from Texas. That's it. And people FREAKED out.