Monday, September 13, 2010

Notes on Today:

-Every morning (or at least most mornings) I ride my bicycle to work. It's not particularly cool. Actually, it's probably the antithesis of cool. It's an early 90s Trek colored a particularly unflattering shade of maroon scattered with rust from years left outside my childhood home in the rain. It's a mountain bike that's never seen a mountain. I bummed it off my sister after the bike I had previously bummed off my old roommate conked out on me. Anyway, as I ride through Lincoln Park, Old Town and River North I'm wary of an impending moment. A possible doom. The pavement glides out from beneath these decade old tires as I pass under green lights coming up to the inevitable bridge, which serves as a right of passage from the North side to the Loop. From the Merchandise Mart to Upper Wacker Drive a heavy steel grater connects North with South filling me with fear. Flash thoughts well up inside my brain as I imagine my front tire getting caught on something, anything, pulling my small frame to the ground, then beneath a car. And my body is compressed, pushed through the small steel holes, like cheddar cheese ready for a quesadilla.

-Recently it's been rather crisp in the mornings. In the afternoon, though, it's that fake cool. It's that kind of cool where once you begin to get to where you're going, not five minutes go by and you're sweating. I think of pumpkin ice cream in those moments. It's the perfect food to describe the beginning of fall.

-I took the train on Thursday last week. It must have been Thursday. I'm not positive. Maybe it was the week before. Really, it's not important. At some point I took it home from the Loop and people watched. Today I picked up my two complimentary tickets to see a preview showing of Candide at the Goodman, and my box office ticketer was someone I remember from people watching. Small world.

-Last night I picked up my kitchen table. Currently it's dismantled in my bedroom. I was nervous that this cat which is still living in my apartment would scratch it up with it's monstrous claws. Then it occurred to me that I could have a kitchen table in my room for a while. That's bothersome. In other news: it's super, and I love it. Plus, it was a bargain. Hooray for Craig's List haggling.

-Tissues are one of those things that you wish you had when you don't, but don't think about when you do. I feel that way about some of my relationships, and that's not so good. Things to work on: appreciating the people in my life.

-The scar developing on the top of my right foot is icky. I wish I was more agile and had not dropped my bike on my foot this past July. That said, since I did, I wish I went to the hospital and got the stitches I needed.

5 comments:

Mandrew said...

um... hate to be a downer but... cheddar cheese quesadillas are gross...

Brigid said...

you're gross.

boom.

that's not true.

you're lovely.

look at me appreciating my friendships.

Rebecca Win said...

you inspire me with your bike skillz.

if you can't maneuver the city on bike... nobody can.

Unknown said...

you didn't need stitches lady, feet just heal slowly, especially biker feet.

p.s. is this ticketer who i hope it was?

Brigid said...

To Andrew: Lies. Cheddar cheese is delicious.

To Rebecca: Let's go riding. I got really sad when I thought about how the cold is going to wreck all the exercise and money-saving action that's been happening the past few months.

To Alli: Sheila says otherwise. Apparently I've tainted my body. Note: she's also the same woman who told my sister Colleen that if she got a tattoo of a rose, eventually it would become a wilted rose.