Friday, November 24, 2006

michigan


This afternoon I scoured the parts of the Upper Peninsula's landscape that I had missed the day before. Yesterday the Marshall clan minus one trekked along through the wilderness. I've been coming up to the land o' lakes area since I was a wee minor (1987, around the one-year mark). It's always been a place where my parents have enjoyed taking us kids, while they too could have a fun time with one another. I can say with all honesty that I was jealous growing up of other kids who had gone to this that and the other place, but that's just immaturity for you. But now I see what my parents have been trying to get through to us all along. I walked around alone today for a while just looking out at one of the innumerable lakes in the great chain. Our neighbors, Bob and Diane weren't home so I spent some time checking out their property and view of the lake (yes, illegally), but I'm sure they won't press charges. It was gorgeous--just the beauty that surrounds us--something I had seen basically my entire life. It was new. Anyway, the time I spent yesterday hiking through the forest preserve across the way with my family was nice.

The scenery. The exercise. The wildlife. I don't know, it all seemed different. And it happened again to me, today. I walked down to the dock and sat on the pier facing outwards away from everything simply looking into the setting sun. It was almost blinding, but in a good way. The light reflecting off the water back to the boat house was perfect. I think now, as trite as it may or may not sound, I sort of see the site the way my parents have the past 20 years. I don't know if I'd want to live here all my life, or even if this is the place I'd want to vacation with my children, but I do know that anywhere if you look long enough can be pleasant. Up here though, the serene, quiet lifestyle and bountiful opportunities for discovery, that's worth it. I sometimes find myself trying to relate to other people my perspective and experience in life, and I feel like if they just sat down to a Marshall Family dinner, the blindness would lift. And they would see things differently. Maybe they should come up here.

No comments: