Monday, November 06, 2006

Daily Iowan among other things

So I've been writing for the newspaper for going on 4 months, and it's been good to me. I have a ton of clips, but are they great clips? Recently I was reviewed ie. constructively criticized by my editors. It's their job, clearly, and I have to fall in line, yes. It's just that, sometimes working for a paper really stresses me out. I love writing, at least I'm almost 100 % sure, and I love reading other peoples stuff, at least when I get the chance. Logically taking part in it practically daily should feel right--normal. Perhaps I'm just tired, perhaps I just need Thanksgiving to come faster than it is, perhaps I'm not cut out, and perhaps I am. Really, all I need is a few more days in the week. 24 Hours is enough for a day, but I think everyone would benefit from a few more days in the week.

I can't wait to schedule classes for next semester. Hopefully I got into Arts & Culture reporting and Global Media. Those are the two journalism classes that I would love nothing more than be present in. I don't understand people that ditch class. Tuition's expensive. If you don't want to go, then maybe take an online course. It's just rude to classmates to consistently skip out on lecture/discussion.

For my english degree I have barely scratched the surface of looking for interesting classes to take. Some of the classes offered seem so esoteric, I don;t think I can find one that'll fit my specific needs. Honestly, I just don't want to have to read that many books. Short stories work well with my writing load. Right now I'm taking an American Short Story class. I realized a few days ago when attempting short hand that A.S.S. is that. When I smirked I noticed how immature I really am, or at least how amused I can be at the triviality of humor in my day to day.

18 Hours is a lot of class to attend. I feel like when I take any less than 5 classes I'm cheating myself of the availability of a learning environment. At the same time I want to be able to give more time to everything I'm involved in. Today in Magazine Reporting and Writing our adjunct professor was evaluated. I felt bad. He's a good guy, a quality journalist, and new at teaching. My friend and I both think he just needs more time to assimilate to the classroom. I hope he gets a second chance. I got the feeling that they wanted to nix him. Although we've shared descrepencies I think there's a lot I could learn from him. I'd rather have gotten a crap grade on something and learned from it, then an A and not understood anything more than I already do.

Well, it's 12:09, I'm going to research English classes for Spring semester. I already researched info on the 2006 Iowa elections. I'm sick of being uninformed--and I'm ashamed that I work at a daily paper and rarely read the metro section.

No comments: