Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Where Everyone Knows Your Name

Going home has become such a strange concept to me. One of the people I interviewed this semester told me something intriguing. Upon retrospect its of the Garden State influence. He said, "It's weird. You find a home in whatever [place] you're in." When I was a freshman I could feel it kind of sting my parents every time I 'accidentally' called my university home. Now its just sort of understood that I have these two places, these two lives, where I do stuff and every now and again they intersect. I remember feeling bad though every time I would say "I'm going home" in reference to my dorm room. One day I even, however haphazardly vowed to never call school home. Of course that's now out the window, but still. Anyway, friends in the two locations has been a tricky matter. My friends from growing up will always be there no matter how badly we keep in contact. I sort of wonder if that will be the case for my college friends after this is all said and done. Because the whole time we are here at this university in this place we know that in four years we won't be here anymore. We have more of a future-driven mindset, perhaps that has to do with the constant anxiety over getting a job or internship. I'd like to think everyone I know now will be with me like those friends I had before, but sometimes I'm uncertain. It doesn't help that every day I feel like I see someone that I know, but not really, but sort of do-ish-ness. Its like you do the 1/2 wave/smile and if they return it you don't feel like an idiot still living in freshman year dorm life. I guess I'm thinking about this all because this year seems like a lot of ends are happening, but then again there have been many beginnings. Its times like these when Colleen Marshall is absolutely necessary but completely unable.

On a side note (sort of), here's a list of 10 "Must-Go-To"s I've compiled:
1. France
2. Ireland
3. Greece
4. Switzerland
5. The Netherlands
6. Spain
7. Great Britain
8. Scotland
9. India
10. South Africa

Already Been's:
1. Italy
2. Mexico
3. Costa Rica
4. Canada
5. And 28 out of 50 States

I've got a travel itch that must be scratched. I think it has something to do with this need in me to see the world before I can comment on it. Sort of important for a journalist-in-the-making.

No comments: