Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Reality Hot Dogs

You hear about places that are supposed to be these cultural gems. Like, "You haven't lived until you've blah blah blahed in this city!"

"What? You're crazy. You've never been to the top of the Sears Tower? But you've lived in Chicago for three years!"

"Oh, my God, you haven't seen the sea lions in Fisherman's Wharf? But you've lived in San Francisco for three years!"

"You've got to be kidding. You went to China and skipped the Great Wall! You nut, you. You've been teaching English there for three years!"

Well, today I did one of these "You haven't lived until's," and it was just alright. After taking my friend Lee to get his Illinois drivers license, we decided to hit up Hot Doug's on California and Roscoe. It's a hot dog joint. Neither of us had been, but of course the word of mouth had reached ours since we took up residence in Chicago.

We almost passed it, the restaurant, that is.

It's got signs on the wall in prime colors. A bunch of weird hot dog combos. And bottomless pop. But it wasn't amazing. It was just -ing. I think the best part about it is their slogan that pulsates through the restaurant: "There are no two finer words in the English language than 'Encased Meats,' my friend."

Meh, I take it back. My favorite part was getting two full cups of diet coke. It doesn't take a lot to please me. Hype simply didn't live up to reality.

No comments: