Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Surfaces and Attitude

It's interesting to think about "types" of people. You know, there's all these stereotypes floating around, and I always liked stereotypes, because more often than not, they're true. See, I'm not a racist or a man-izer, or a womanizer for that matter, but there's something about a certain group of people that you know what they might say and how they might say it—not perhaps get all the sticky details exactly, 100 percent correct, but nonetheless, pretty damn close.

Apparently, I am a type. I'm the sass-type. It's typical amongst shorter girls, perhaps with a bit of pazazzy-red hair, maybe a streak of a 'tude promoted by a large family. Sure, I'm the bossy type. I like things done right, and I usually think I know how to do it. Unfortunately, I do not take criticism well, though this has helped me in the past. I'm a Don't-Take-No-For-An-Answer Type girl. My apparent method of flirting usually involves something like needing help to reach things that are too high for me to get myself, but willingness to attempt a go at getting it myself, and then subsequent laugh from fellow who gets it down with ease. I don't receive help well, but this is changing. And while this motivated "firecracker" style I've got going seems to be just the ticket for me right now, perhaps I won't be this way forever. In fact, I do tire myself out—and sorry for going on so long about me—but let's get real here. We all know our types.

There's always the funny guy, who's jokes are clever because he's unwittingly intelligent, but can appreciate the crassness involved in others' jollies. There's the classy girl who needs everything to be just so, in order for life to pan out appropriately. There's the athletic guy who has forfeited much of his personality to his good body. And there's always another type of funny guy, who doesn't know exactly how funny he is, because he doesn't grasp how intelligent he is. Of course, there's unfortunately others who are dull and others who are work-aholics, others adventurous and others still. But it's the blend of various groups of all these that make people interesting.

To say you belong to a certain type sort of disregards the other micropersonalities involved in all of us. Sure, I may be a sassy little chica, but that doesn't necessitate bitchiness or decrease my ability to be caring and generous with both time and money. I suppose it's what resonates most with people that make you who you are. Though being a certain way in certain situations with certain people does not mean that's the only thing there. It's just the surface level.

2 comments:

Will Wilkinson said...

Beginning reads like the voice-over epilogue of a Grey's Anatomy episode. Ends like a profound high school editorial piece.

Brigid said...

profound!? nice. i think i scored, even if it was just in high school.

by the way, i wouldn't have taken you as a grey's watcher. interesting insights into your soul, i feel. just call me yoda.