Friday, December 08, 2006

Cut, Cut, Cut: Let's take it from the top

I'm writing an article about self-abuse, about self-mutilation, about self-injury: about cutting. I'm writing an article about it because it matters. If I wasn't a reporter for the newspaper right now I would be sitting downstairs watching Growing Pains. Not that there's anything wrong with the Seaver family, but this is some important stuff. The idea that someone would willingly and intentional inflict pain upon themselves almost seems hilarious to some people. It's such a far-fetched idea. But it's not. Self-harm effects more than half of the United States' adolescent population. Many of them only do it once or twice, and then find it ineffective, but there are a few that continue. It's not a suicide attempt. It's a way to feel alive, however much of an oxy-moron it may seem upon initial glance.

I'm so scared and excited to write the piece. I'm writing about writing. How sick am I? Anyway, after talking with six or seven different UI professionals and/or students I feel like I have a firm handle on the subject.

It's running as our weekend edition "80 Hours" front December 14. Honestly, I'm scared to put pen to page or finger to keyboard. I don't want to offend. I don't want to instigate. I want to bring to the forethought. I want to decrease stigma. I want people to understand, and not judge, but I want self-harmers to stop. Knowing that a person can feel so disconnected, so out-of-touch hurts me. Instead of condemning, as a society we need to reach out and touch someone. Even if it hurts--reach out and help them feel alive.

We can't desensitize our minds to those things that we initially want to run away from in fear of knowing that it can affect even the most unsuspecting bystander. Even. If. Hurts.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Can I see a copt of this article you wrote? I'd love to read it Bridge... =)