Thursday, January 10, 2008

Part of Home

I'm at L. Marshall Roofing & Sheet Metal at the moment. It's pretty ridiculous that I always get roped into working for my father when I'm home on break. I thought this was the time to sit around and do nothing. But, instead, I opt for making some hard earned cash.

Today was spectacularly busy though, except for now, as I write this. I finished with this intense mailing list for the Archdiocese of Chicago. L.P. Marshall is the #1 roofing contractor for all churches in the Chicagoland area. It's actually pretty cool, especially for a man who's token angry phrase is, "Jesus, Mary & Joseph!"

Anyway, I'm not in the mood to start anything new right now. I could finish up with this database project I've begun. So far I've finished nearly a decade's worth of roofing jobs with a grosse earning of over ten grand.

Our family business has helped put six kids through college among other things, and it's really only within the last few years that I've even taken the time to learn about it. It's caused a number of problems as well, but on the whole, it's provided shelter for our family. Growing up my siblings and I would always look at how stressed a self-run business has made my father, so we'd always assumed when my dad was done with it, we'd be done with it. Honestly, I just can't get over what life with this business has amounted to. My grandfather started it after he returned from France where he served in WWII. From there it has morphed with each new job. I don't know, being here sometimes is ridiculously monotonous, but really, I'm so proud of what my father has made this company into. I'm just proud of my dad.

Anyway, I'd just been pondering about this little piece of home.

No comments: