Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A Bitter Sweet Semester

So, the year's started. Classes are into their second week, and homework has already been a burden. While I'm graduating with degrees in Journalism with Honors and English, I still feel like I somehow missed out on some of my education.

Example, last night famed whistle blower Dr. Daniel Ellsberg came to Hancher Auditorium at the UI to speak about his role in the greatest act of defense of the 1st Amendment, and I missed it. I was busy learning about dead poet and puritan, Milton. Granted, the class only meets once weekly and it was the first one, but nonetheless, I feel I've missed out on something truly remarkable.

I must add, however, that I did get to meet Ellsberg in my Writing Across Cultures class, which was pretty sweet. It would have been wonderful to see him in front of a large audience though.

But in keeping with this talk of education and earnestness for knowledge, I should get started on my various reading and response papers due for tomorrow.

Although I only have class Monday through Wednesday, those days are full, but so are Thursday and Friday. The nice part of only having class three days per week, is that there is outside work that I can complete on my own schedule the other four days. I thought 19 hours was going to be impossible while I balanced my duties at The Daily Iowan, Content Magazine and KRUI 89.7, but I am looking forward to a really wonderful semester.

Along with all of that, since it's my last here at Iowa, I'm simply looking forward to spending time with my friends, not killing myself too much, and meeting new people and having new experiences every day.

No comments: