Monday, December 03, 2007

Inevitable Excitement

Over this past weekend I booked it to Amsterdam. I left Friday morning and arrived Friday night. My friend, Rebecca, from home, has been student teaching in London for the past month and was granted a week off to travel around. She met me there and now will be in Paris until Thursday. It was so refreshing to be with someone from home. I miss that familiarity a lot as every day since I've been here I've been forced to deal with the unfamiliar. Plus, she totally gave me an ego boost when I called her hotel to make sure the reservation was still on. I spoke to the concierge in French. It was actually kind of rewarding.

My parents are on their way to Pau right now from Paris, where the flew in a couple days ago. I love Paris. I'm going back with them for the weekend as well as going to Normandy on a day trip. Should be really fun. I just love history, and in Pau; there is some, but it's from medieval/renaissance periods. I love learning about the world wars and all that here. It's totally different from learning about them in the US. The history is right here. I can't wait to see the beaches made famous on DDay (Decision Day), June 6, 1944. I really can't wait.

It's so strange to think I have only three more weeks left, when just what feels like a little bit ago I was saying I only had three months left. What's more is that the French students haven't been in school for the last 3 weeks. What's up with 3's?

It's weird that all my big trips are finished as well. The Netherlands was the last country I was to visit. Obviously otherthan continuing to live in France. It's weird that I can legitimately say, 'Yes, I lived in France for a little while.'

I just, I don't know. I do know that I'm excited for things though. Excited for Normandy and excited for Christmas and excited for Meagan Ekberg's wedding and excited to see people again and share stories and live life at a slower pace for a while. It helps that my class schedule for Spring is ridiculous. MTW class at 1:30, none ThF. Seriously? Seriously, this is my life. I just can't believe I need to get a real job with health insurance and a dental plan and an apartment or condo and blah; blah, blah. I will have bills to pay.

But it was inevitable. Just like everything else.

No comments: