Tuesday, October 16, 2012

a new york slate of mine.

Friend vacations are the best kind of vacations. This year I've had the pleasure of traveling to New York three times, and always with good friends, creating great moments on and off stage. Improvising and comedy has literally opened up my life experience ten-fold. Without sounding too much like a sentimental sally, I can't imagine my life without it at this point. How do other people fill their time?

One of my life friends truth bombed me yesterday over gchat. He fills his time by traveling to other countries for extended periods of time with the notion that the worst thing that could happen is he learns another language.

7:36 PM William: life is dumb, brigid
  it shouldn't be taken so seriously
  everyone should treat it as a grand experiment to see what can be got out of it
7:37 PM when you're playing goldeneye, what's the point of having a rocket launcher if you never use it
 me: i love golden eye
 William: why wait to use it on the boss
  use it now before you get shot by some chump around the corner
7:38 PM me: i like to hide in this secret chamber
 William: haha
  are you building upon my analogy
 me: unintentionally, but yes, i suppose.
7:39 PM i do peep out every now and again to snipe
7:40 PM William: haha
  cool
  sniping is cowardly, though
7:41 PM you gotta run directly into the cross fire and just do the thing, you know
 me: haha
7:42 PM William: and if there's still an explosion from a grenade, go ahead and run into it. you'll just respawn anyway
7:45 PM me: you are a ridiculous man

 You know that song, "I've had the time of my life, la la la la...etc. la la la." New York is that. Every time I go there, I always think why do I not live here? Once I'm there, I feel like I live there. Things are familiar in a way that's exciting. Like I know what I'm doing. Of course, I'm always in the middle of not living in Chicago anymore, but for the last four months I've been seriously considering Los Angeles, in so far as my sister (an LA transplant herself) is under the impression that I am moving in April. While that's still up in the air, it's not out of my mind by any means. But there's something about how New York operates that's particularly intriguing. For me, moving is the equivalent of using a rocket launcher. The worst thing that could happen is I respawn and learn another language.

No comments: