Wednesday, March 03, 2010

How Things Work.

There were five girls waiting in line after the show. Really, it was something to see. That's why the line was so long after. No one wanted to get up during the performance. They knew they would miss something. Something brilliant. Something the performer would later recall during an interview with the newest version of Johnny Carson.

That's why I waited, at least. I can't imagine if I had any more than one-and-a-half beers.

It's funny what happens after you become of drinking age. Your hands feel lonely if they don't have a glass of something or other in them. I never had the problem of empty hands during my pre-21-year-old days. I suppose they were empty, but I never felt abashed that I wasn't allowed to enjoy alcoholic elixirs. I think I was better hydrated then though. I drank a lot of water. It was bottled water. Please, please don't be mad. I didn't realize there was so much excess garbage piled up in the ocean. I didn't realize that plastic wasn't always recyclable. I didn't realize. I'm sorry. I didn't know.

So now I don't drink as much water. I blame it on being older now. I blame it on the use of plastic bottles. I blame it on pollution. I blame it on liking the fizziness of beer and the bitterness of a good dry white wine. Excuses are my new thing. Really, only excuses for little things like why I have a headache: because I don't drink enough water. I suppose they're not as much excuses as they are reasons. Real reasons. It has to be that I don't drink enough water, though, because I don't drink alcohol enough to ever get a headache. Maybe once in a while I do, if we're being honest. I'm not really a big drinker. It's just my hands. They don't know what to do with themselves. I feel like I need to get up. I need to hold something. As if I need to get up and move and do something and be something: a consumer.

Isn't that the reason why people do or buy anything, they feel like they have to, like they should, like if they don't they will later, so why not now?

Link. TS Eliot.

No comments: