Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Unnatural & Natural Fears

I have forced myself into fear.

As is typical in most cities, there's a public transit system, no?

Yes.

With that comes steel vents in sidewalks. You know, the metal overlay that disrupts the sidewalk's cement sheen. I have an unnatural fear of these.

It's true that I've heard stories of strangers falling through, suing the city for countless sums, but I never was afraid before, falling through, that is.

While walking down the street, typically to and from work, I consciously tell myself to dodge these menacing hurtles. But they are no more menacing that a pothole or an abnormal crack causing you to roll your ankle. The funny thing is, is that there are so many variables that can really screw up your day, so why pick just one? If I'm going to cause an unnatural fear in myself over walking across vents, then shouldn't I freak out at the littlest of worries?

It's gotten pretty annoying to change my walking path, seemingly cutting off those walking beside me, those who have no abnormal fears they somehow brought upon themselves.

But, you know what actually is scary: those metal doors that come out of shop basements onto the sidewalks. These are way scarier because you (the walker) are relying on some guy who has to clear out the basement trash to remember to lock the door and perform all the necessary latches in order for passersby not to fall through, breaking arms and legs.

Maybe what's really unnatural is my fear of relying on others in general, whether that's the guy who's supposed to lock the door, the city worker who has to put in the vents properly or anyone else — but I suppose that's a breakthrough for another morning.

1 comment:

bkrall said...

I feel like that's gotta be on here:
http://phobialist.com/